Thursday, July 28, 2011

A salad here, a salad there

It's the summer, it's hot, you barely make it home on time for the latest episode of "So You Think You Can Dance" so what do you do??? Nuke some leftovers. Radiation waves aside, this is an ideal way to make sure the family is fed, while you keep your sanity and the pots & pans stay under the kitchen counter, where they belong. However, this doesn't mean that you can't whip up a fast and fantastic tasting salad on the side of your meal. So, see? You ARE superwoman (or man). You made dinner tonight. Enjoy!

Easy Peasy Potato Salad
~3 lbs red potatoes, large diced
chopped red onion, to taste
chopped red pepper, to taste
chopped green pepper, to taste
green olives, chopped, to taste
~7oz Hellmans real mayo

Throw potatoes in water and boil. The size of the potatoes matter because it affects how long it takes the heat to penetrate, so you want to jab at the potatoes with a fork every 15 minutes or so. Once you feel that they are soft enough, drain them and throw them right back into the pot. While potatoes are still hot, add all of your ingredients. Mix. Feel free to add some salt if you feel that it's not salty enough.
*While I'm aware that many potato salads have egg in them, I am not a fan of the egg in food products. I follow an I-don't-see-it-so-it's-okay policy. If I see it in my Chinese food OR potato salad- I'm not a happy camper! But feel free to add a hard-boiled egg or two to this dish. If you're one of those people. :)


Another one of my favorites that I have had a couple of times. It is light and delicious. 

Cabbage Salad
cabbage, chopped & sliced
avocado, sliced
tomato, sliced
red pepper, sliced
1 clove garlic, shaved 
lime juice, fresh (1-2 limes)
chopped cilantro, if you have it on hand

Add salad ingredients together and pour lime juice on top. 


Major shout-out to Andrea, the newlywed, whom I hope tries out some of these recipes so that her man is happy. Thanks for reading my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment