Friday, July 1, 2011

Red Velvet Cupcakes

So my aunt gave me this really great recipe for red velvet cupcakes. I already made them, so I can't show you a step-by-step (I promise this will be the first and last time I do that) but I'd like to post the recipe on here, because they are delicious. Seriously, I almost cried at how moist and good they are. So without further ado- incidentally, if you make this sans red food coloring- you get a really great chocolate cupcake--here it is:

Red Velvet Cupcakes
yield: about 30
set your oven to 350 degrees before you start the process
if, like me, you like everything "mise en place" which means everything in it's place, then measure out everything beforehand in measuring cups/spoons.
Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
i cup of butter, softened (room temp)
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 bottle red food coloring

Mix dry ingredients with the dry and wet with the wet, combine, and mix using either a bowl/spatula or a mixer if you have one. Add bottle of food coloring towards the end. Fill the cupcake pan or liner about 2/3 full. Bake for 20 minutes. You can tell they are done by inserting a toothpick into a cupcake in the middle of the pan. Let them rest on a wire rack or on the counter.



Recipe for a good cream cheese frosting:
2 1/2 packages cream cheese, softened (8oz. packages)
1/2 cup + 2 tbl butter, soft
2 1/2 cup sifted confectioner's sugar
1 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Mix the cream cheese and butter together. Stir in vanilla extract. Gradually stir in confectioner's sugar. You can make this beforehand and put in fridge until you are ready to use.

Hope you enjoy, and if you've tried to make them and have suggestions, or pictures, please let me know!

*Adry

2 comments:

  1. Another baker friend of mine shared a great trick with me for eliminating the dreaded food coloring taste. Mix the food coloring and the cocoa powder together before combining with the rest of the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks J! I make these cupcakes often, so I will try your trick next time and post!

    ReplyDelete