Monday, July 25, 2011

Lamb Chops w/Herbed Butter & Cherry Shallot Sauce

I'm not gonna lie, I was never a huge fan of lamb. Maybe it's because when I think of lamb I think of cute, fuzzy little animals. I feel the same way about venison (deer). I can't wrap my brain around eating an animal that cute. But thanks to a class I took at ICE (The Institute of Culinary Education) that taught me how to properly prepare the meat, and some ways to make it very flavorful, I've enjoyed making it (and eating it!)

Herbed Butter
1 stick butter, softened
1t chopped rosemary
1t chopped parsley
1T minced shallots
1/4t salt
1/2t pepper

In a small bowl combine all ingredients.
Cut a piece of parchment paper into a long rectangle. Place the butter on the paper and roll into a tight cylinder. Twist the ends of the paper. Refrigerate until firm.
Sauteed Lamb Chops
6 servings
~12 lamb chops, fat removed from the ribs 
Season lamb chops with salt and pepper. Brush a large skillet or grill pan with canola or vegetable oil over high heat. Make sure the pan is very hot. Add the chops, making sure not to crowd them. Sear the chops on both sides, 2 minutes per side, then reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook to the desired degree of doneness (turn once.) Since this household likes their meat well done, it took about 10 minutes. Remove the lamb to a platter and place a coin-shaped piece of herbed butter and watch as it melts into the lamb. Enjoyable just like this!
But if you're like me and you want layer upon layer of flavor (meanwhile back at the ranch)--

Cherry-Shallot Sauce
2 shallots, thinly sliced
1c cherry preserves
1/3c pomegranate juice
2T olive oil 
salt & pepper

In a medium saucepan over high heat add the shallots and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and cook until golden. Add the pomegranate juice and stir, mixing well. Add the cherry preserves and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer and cook until thick. Taste and feel free to add more salt according to your preference. 

Pour some sauce all over your lamb chops and dig in. You'll thank me later. 


No comments:

Post a Comment