Saturday, July 2, 2011

Very Berry Drizzle

It's been a crazy, hectic couple of days. I needed to relax and one of my favorite ways of winding down (besides sitting on my couch with a book in hand) is to cook something. A good friend was coming over to talk and keep me company, and the fruit dessert I was planning on serving turned into a really yummy berry sauce that I poured over ice cream. The end result was very tasty, so I hope you enjoy!

Berry Sauce
serving size: 4
Raspberries, handful
Blueberries, handful
Blackberries, handful
Spoonful of honey*
Juice of 1-2 oranges

Wash berries and put in a medium size bowl.

Using a citrus squeezer (or your hands) squeeze juice out of oranges into bowl. Let marinate for about 20 minutes.



Using a small to medium sized sauce pan, pour mixture into pan and stir over medium-hi heat for about 10 minutes.

The fruit should soften and crush on their own, but if not, be sure to press down on fruit while stirring, so as to break them up. When mostly liquid, let it rest for about a minute, then strain while pressing down with a wooden spoon to ensure most of the liquid makes it down into the bowl.

Discard fruit pulp, or, if you enjoy preserves/jam, let it cool then put in glass container and into the fridge. Will be perfect on morning toast!

*honey intensifies the flavor of this dish but you can omit it if you don't like honey. Since my dad has his own (modest) apiary, I added a spoonful of natural, organic honey (cue Mary Poppins song) because a spoonful of honey makes everything taste better!
End result? Spoon over some vanilla bean ice cream for a delicious treat. Don't forget to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment